(Canberra) Simulation Data Modeller (Terrain)
Calytrix Technologies is an Australian company specialising in the delivery of software, systems, and training support services to the Australian and international defence community. Calytrix has more than a decade of experience designing and delivering complex training events having delivered over 125 training activities involving military, government agencies, OGOs, UN agencies and emergency responders.
Calytrix has been intimately involved with ADF training since 2007 and remains an integral component of the HQ JOC joint and collective training capability. As part of our expanding role supporting the ADF we are increasing our simulation support capabilities to the ADF's new Core Simulation Capability (CSimC). This group, operating within the Joint Capability Training Branch will be responsible for delivering simulation services to make the Joint Collective Training environment as real and accessible as possible.
Calytrix has over 60 employees, maintaining offices in Canberra, Perth and Orlando, Florida. Approximately 50% of our workforce are ex Defence members.
About Your Position: Simulation Data Modeller (Terrain)
Calytrix is seeking Simulation Data Modellers who will be responsible for the production, management, maintenance, and configuration of simulation terrain data sets used to support ADF Joint Collective Training (JCT) activities. These positions will be available from January 2021 and are offered as full-time roles.
Working in the Joint Collective Training Branch (J7-JCTB) of Headquarters Joint Operations Command (HQJOC), the Simulation Data Modeller (Terrain) will work closely with the JCTB Joint Collective Training Directorate technical and plans teams to configure and test in-service simulation systems which are used as part of broader technical solutions to deliver training outcomes for simulation enable collective training activities. In this capacity the Simulation Data Modeller (Terrain) will:
- Participate in the requirements gathering phases of exercise design and planning to determine the terrain requirements for each activity including terrain box requirements, fidelity, terrain formats required as well as broader geospatial requirements.
- Conduct analysis of existing terrain sets to determine applicability and derive new build requirements.
- Engage relevant internal and external organisations to obtain applicable source data.
- Be responsible to produce required terrain sets to meet overall exercise test and production requirements.
- Participate in event functional and operational tests to validate the terrain sets.
- Be responsible for the managing terrain metadata and storage/archiving.
- Provide advice to exercise staff (technical and exercise plans teams) on the suitability of extant terrain sets to meet exercise training objectives.
Successful candidiates will have:
- Experience with common simulation terrain production tools (TerraTools, TerraSim)
- Experience with common Geospatial manipulation tools (ArcGIS, etc.)
- Knowledge of common geospatial terrain formats.
- Exposure to Defence simulation environments and protocols and/or a background as a military geospatial specialist.
- Some knowledge of military simulation protocols (particularly DIS and HLA)
- Some knowledge of common military constructive and virtual simulation applications (JSAF, JCATS, etc.)
- Hold a minimum Baseline Security Clearance (NV1 preferred) with an ability to upgrade to NV2.
- The ability to travel within Australia and overseas in support of training planning and execution activities.
Supporting military training using simulation is an exciting and expanding field of endeavour. As a member of the Calytrix team, you will be working with a close-knit group of ex-military planning specialists and technical professionals to deliver robust and effective simulation solutions to support ADF training.
Calytrix is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages individuals from all backgrounds and all abilities to apply and consider becoming a part of our diverse and inclusive workforce.
If this sounds like the job for you, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org by sending a covering letter and brief resume addressing the skills and experience listed above.